Saturday, March 5, 2011

Night before

I have an audition tomorrow. And so here I am at 2:30 am wasting time when I really should be sleeping. This seems to be the way I do things of late. I put things off until the last minute when there is nothing to do but to scramble to get everything finished on time. I seem to do this every time I have an audition. I don't seem to take the proper time to prepare a decent piece, causing me to fumble upon my words and ultimately look like a fool in front of those whom I wish would cast me. All the while my brain is debating if I should even go to the audition or just stay home in my little cozy hole and sleep away the shame of not making an appearance.

I just wonder where I picked up this habit. Why do I put it off. I'm sure I could do great in the show, but I haven't had the discipline to create a worthy character for these new directors. I know what you are thinking, why don't I just use a standby piece from one of the shows I've auditioned for in the past. Well Ideally that is what I do, but even then I would need to refresh it. No, this time I wanted to go with something new, something that fit better to the style of show that I'm trying out for. So I went out and searched for something new; finally finding it two days before the audition, leaving only one day to create it. Did I spend the whole day working on it? No. only within the last few hours have I worked upon it. And even then I have mostly just been listening to it. What I should have done is found the piece two weeks ago and then spend my time first finding someone to accompany me while I sing so I learn the piano part, and second spend every free moment from then until now practicing the part, making it the best I could do. No wonder I haven't made it into a show where they actually pay.

I guess I'm off to bed.

2 comments:

evieperkins said...

Coincidentally enough, I've spent most of the morning getting after myself for similar cases of self-sabotage, which wasted most of the morning, which puts me even further behind. Hopefully your audition goes well because you're awesome, even if you're not as prepared as you'd like.

Bluesfier said...

Thanks. I'm glad someone is on my side, even if at times I'm not. As it turns out, I slept through the small window of time I had to audition.